Steve Hoenisch :: Technical White Paper Writer
Status: In Seattle
- Focus: Writing influential technical white papers that demonstrate thought leadership on emerging technologies.
Experience: More than 10 years in marketing communications, technology writing, and editing at such companies as EMC Isilon, Likewise Software, Reed Business Information, AT&T, and Verizon Wireless. More than 6 years as an editor at such daily
newspapers as American Banker and The Hartford Courant.
- Education: Master's degree in Linguistics.
- Knowledge: Storage systems, analytics, data science, information security, regulatory compliance, search, content analysis, cognitive psychology, publishing, cloud computing, data standards, data access protocols, Hadoop.
- Keywords: Big data, strategic solutions, consulting, solution architecture, search engine optimization (SEO), marcom, technical marketing engineering, white papers.
- Publications: Writing published in XML Journal, The Hartford Courant, and the Chicago Tribune.
Senior Technical White Paper Writer, EMC Isilon
makes a scale-out NAS platform that combines distributed software
with modular hardware to store big data. 2012 to present:
- Wrote influential technical white papers that demonstrated thought leadership on emerging technologies.
- Wrote popular best practices guides that demonstrated technical authority on complex technologies.
Principal Technical Marketing Writer and Technical
Editor, Likewise Software
develops enterprise software for cross-platform interoperability at the
intersection of storage, identity, compliance, and security. Likewise was
acquired by EMC. 2007-2011:
- Provided thought leadership and decision making for marketing communications, content strategy, technical documentation, content marketing, and search engine optimization.
- Wrote influential technical white papers on compliance, security, storage, analytics, and big data.
- Performed developmental editing, substantive editing, and copy editing for technical documents and marketing content.
- Developed a highly successful SEO program; engineered content and metadata for SEO.
- Wrote book-length guides to help IT pros manage Linux, Unix, and Mac systems with Active Directory.
- Designed and implemented a standards-based publishing system that efficiently linked components for structured authoring, single sourcing, automated production, SEO, and continuous publishing.
Standards Manager (Publishing Consultant), Reed Business Information
Content Management Center
. A major international publisher, Reed publishes print
and online magazines such as Variety
and Publisher's Weekly
- Steered decision making on the enterprise-wide use of XML applications, content management systems, taxonomies, and search engine optimization.
- Wrote design proposals and standards for an XML content management system.
- Engineered XML and HTML content and metadata for search engine
- Managed a custom DTD that defined the metadata,
structure, and semantics of magazine articles.
- Evaluated content management systems, classification systems, and
taxonomies for XML content.
- Helped engineer and test a content management system.
- Designed a process and
architecture for managing taxonomies and classifying XML content.
XML Architect and Technical Writer, Verizon Wireless
Commercial Data Systems unit of Verizon Wireless
. (Consultant with Conversion Services
- Wrote position papers, guides, and engineering standards for
customer-facing systems that delivered mobile data services, such as text
- Developed content models, document type definitions, XSLT
stylesheets, and web sites.
- Implemented an XML authoring and single-sourcing system with DITA and XMetaL to automate production and reuse content.
XML Publishing Consultant,
is the Financial Products Markup
, an XML standard for processing derivatives. (Part-time consultant
with Essential Data Services.) 2001:
- Provided consulting on publishing the FPML standard.
- Created a DTD to structure the standard in XML and wrote XSLT stylesheets to publish it.
Technology Writer and International Process Manager, Concert and AT&T
was the global
venture between AT&T and British Telecom.
- Wrote guides on delivering global telecommunications services to international corporate customers.
- Engineered processes for delivering IP services.
Editor for Newspapers, Magazines, and Books
- New York Daily News (daily circulation: more than 725,000;
the sixth largest U.S. newspaper).
- The Hartford Courant, Hartford, Conn. (daily
- American Banker, New York, N.Y. (daily
national circulation: about 14,500).
- The Salem Evening News, Salem, Mass. (daily
- New Age Journal magazine, Boston, Mass. (bimonthly national
- Michael Friedman Publishing Group, New York, N.Y.
- Royal Media Group, New York, N.Y.
- Willamette Week newspaper, Portland, Ore. (weekly
circulation: about 75,000).
Linguistics, The Graduate Center, City University of New York.
in the Ph.D. Program
in Linguistics, The Graduate
, City University of New York. Additional work in
philosophy, sociology, psychology, and cognitive science.
University of Oregon,
Major: philosophy; minor: economics.
Activity: Editorial Page Editor of the Oregon Daily Emerald
structuring documents with XML.
American Encyclopedia of
the Democratic Party and the Republican Party
. As a major contributor, I
wrote on the same topics for both volumes. The encyclopedia, published by M.E. Sharpe
won the Choice Outstanding Academic Book Award in 1997.
. A book review
of Read All About It: The Corporate
Takeover of America's Newspapers
The Hartford Courant
. A travel
article on Portland, Oregon.