Steve Hoenisch :: Solutions Architect and Technical White Paper Writer
Status: In Seattle
- Focus: Writing influential technical white papers that demonstrate thought leadership on emerging technologies.
Experience: More than 10 years in marketing communications, technology writing, and consulting at such companies as EMC, Likewise Software, Reed Business Information, AT&T, and Verizon Wireless. More than 6 years as an editor at such daily
newspapers as American Banker and The Hartford Courant.
- Education: Master's degree in Linguistics.
- Knowledge: Storage systems, analytics, data science, information security, regulatory compliance, search, content analysis, cognitive psychology, publishing, cloud computing, data standards, data access protocols, Hadoop.
- Keywords: Big data, strategic solutions, consulting, solution architecture, search engine optimization (SEO), marcom, strategic communications, white papers.
- Publications: Writing published in XML Journal, The Hartford Courant, and the Chicago Tribune.
Solutions Architect and White Paper Writer, EMC Emerging Technologies Division
EMC Emerging Technologies Division
makes distributed systems to store big data. 2012 to present:
- Wrote influential technical white papers that demonstrated thought leadership on emerging technologies.
- Wrote popular best practices guides that demonstrated technical authority on complex technologies.
Principal Technical Marketing Writer and Technical
Editor, Likewise Software
develops enterprise software for cross-platform interoperability at the
intersection of storage, identity, compliance, and security. Likewise was
acquired by EMC. 2007-2011:
- Provided thought leadership and decision making for marketing communications, content strategy, technical documentation, content marketing, and search engine optimization.
- Wrote influential technical white papers on compliance, security, storage, analytics, and big data.
- Performed developmental editing, substantive editing, and copy editing for technical documents and marketing content.
- Developed a highly successful SEO program; engineered content and metadata for SEO.
- Wrote book-length guides to help IT pros manage Linux, Unix, and Mac systems with Active Directory.
- Designed and implemented a standards-based publishing system that efficiently linked components for structured authoring, single sourcing, automated production, SEO, and continuous publishing.
Standards Manager (Solution Architect and Publishing Consultant), Reed Business Information
Content Management Center
. A major international publisher, Reed publishes print
and online magazines such as Variety
and Publisher's Weekly
- Steered decision making on the enterprise-wide use of XML applications, content management systems, taxonomies, and search engine optimization.
- Wrote design proposals and standards for an XML content management system.
- Engineered XML and HTML content and metadata for search engine
- Managed a custom DTD that defined the metadata,
structure, and semantics of magazine articles.
- Evaluated content management systems, classification systems, and
taxonomies for XML content.
- Helped engineer and test a content management system.
- Designed a process and
architecture for managing taxonomies and classifying XML content.
XML Architect and Technical Writer, Verizon Wireless
Commercial Data Systems unit of Verizon Wireless
. (Consultant with Conversion Services
- Wrote position papers, guides, and engineering standards for
customer-facing systems that delivered mobile data services, such as text
- Developed content models, document type definitions, XSLT
stylesheets, and web sites.
- Implemented an XML authoring and single-sourcing system with DITA and XMetaL to automate production and reuse content.
XML Publishing Consultant,
is the Financial Products Markup
, an XML standard for processing derivatives. (Part-time consultant
with Essential Data Services.) 2001:
- Provided consulting on publishing the FPML standard.
- Created a DTD to structure the standard in XML and wrote XSLT stylesheets to publish it.
Technology Writer and International Process Manager, Concert and AT&T
was the global
venture between AT&T and British Telecom.
- Wrote guides on delivering global telecommunications services to international corporate customers.
- Engineered processes for delivering IP services.
Editor for Newspapers, Magazines, and Books
- New York Daily News (daily circulation: more than 725,000;
the sixth largest U.S. newspaper).
- The Hartford Courant, Hartford, Conn. (daily
- American Banker, New York, N.Y. (daily
national circulation: about 14,500).
- The Salem Evening News, Salem, Mass. (daily
- New Age Journal magazine, Boston, Mass. (bimonthly national
- Michael Friedman Publishing Group, New York, N.Y.
- Royal Media Group, New York, N.Y.
- Willamette Week newspaper, Portland, Ore. (weekly
circulation: about 75,000).
Linguistics, The Graduate Center, City University of New York.
in the Ph.D. Program
in Linguistics, The Graduate
, City University of New York. Additional work in
philosophy, sociology, psychology, and cognitive science.
University of Oregon,
Major: philosophy; minor: economics.
Activity: Editorial Page Editor of the Oregon Daily Emerald
structuring documents with XML.
American Encyclopedia of
the Democratic Party and the Republican Party
. As a major contributor, I
wrote on the same topics for both volumes. The encyclopedia, published by M.E. Sharpe
won the Choice Outstanding Academic Book Award in 1997.
. A book review
of Read All About It: The Corporate
Takeover of America's Newspapers
The Hartford Courant
. A travel
article on Portland, Oregon.